It does not matter if you invest a lot of money on your non-stick electric griddle only to use a dishwasher to ruin them within a few months. You may think that your griddle is a hefty cooking appliance that can withstand the water pressure of the dishwasher, but it is not.
Your griddle may look clean, but is it really clean? This guide will help you make cleaning very easy and efficient, especially in cases where your electric griddle has burned food that you can’t seem to scrape off. Cleaning can be a daunting process, but this guide will make sure that your cleaning will be as fast as possible. The goal is to clean your electric griddle and make it look brand new again.
Here are some of the things you will need to clean a non-stick electric griddle:
- Dish soap
- Silicon scrubbing brush
- Hot water
- Baking soda
The following steps should be followed:
- If you have just used your non-stick electric griddle, switch off the heat source and allow it to cool down completely before you start your cleaning process.
- Non-stick electric griddles have a coating on top that can be damaged easily if you are not careful. Therefore, ensure that you hand wash your non-stick electric griddle.
- Take a silicon scrubbing brush and remove the stubborn grease off of the griddle.
- Use elbow grease if the griddle is severely burnt.
- Use baking soda or vinegar to weaken the stubborn areas if necessary.
- After removing the excess burnt food, use dish soap and a sponge to remove all traces of oil and grease
- Rinse the griddle under running water and get rid of all soapy residue. Ensure that there are no traces of detergent left on the griddle as it can damage the surface of your griddle. Also, ensure that the electric buttons are safe from water.
- Use a cotton kitchen towel to dry the pan completely before storing.
- Leave it to air dry for some hours before using it again
Cleaning Tips for a Non-stick Electric Griddle
- Make sure that the griddle cools down completely before you clean it. The drastic temperature change can damage the non-stick coating on your griddle. That is why it is not advisable to put a hot griddle in cold water.
- Never use a metal scraper, scouring pad, or knife to clean your non-stick griddle. Abrasive sponges can damage the coating on your griddle. Ensure that you use a soft sponge or cotton fabrics.
- Use a scraping tool to scrape off burnt food from your griddle surface. Do not use metal spatulas.
Care and Maintenance Tips for Non-stick Griddles
- Never use a dishwasher to clean your non-stick griddles. The dishwasher uses a lot of water pressure to clean utensils
- Let your pan dry completely before you store it. Moisture can damage the pan so ensure that it is moisture-free
- Apply oil after washing and drying. Apply a teaspoon of oil and use a paper towel to gently apply a thin layer. It helps to protect the non-stick surface
- Clean your griddle after every use. It may take too much work but your griddles will serve you for long
- Never heat your griddles empty. Ensure that you use a bit of oil or butter to the pan before heating it
- Only use silicone or wooden spatulas because they are not abrasive on the surface of the griddle
- Do not stack your griddle with pans and pots in the cupboard. They can scratch each other and ruin the non-stick layer. You can hang them or put paper towels between each before stacking
Should a Non-stick Griddle be Sticky after Seasoning?
No. If you use a cast iron griddle and season it to keep it in its top shape, it should not feel sticky. Cast iron griddles are highly porous, so whenever you oil to season it, it absorbs the oil and creates a resistant coating. The heat solidifies the oil and produces a durable coating. The coating feels smooth when you touch and not sticky. If your griddle feels sticky, chances are you applied too much oil.
You need a teaspoon of oil and a paper towel to apply a thin layer to your griddle. Try washing the pan and season again using less oil. Remove excess oil using a towel each time you season.
The steps above will ensure that the cleaning process of your non-stick electric griddle is made easier. The tips also ensure that your griddle will serve you for years since it is a useful item in your kitchen. Therefore, there is a need to take proper care of it.