Most people prefer French toast for breakfast, and as their favorite option when dining out. However, you can cook your delicious French toast from the comfort and convenience of your home. It is inexpensive and relatively easy to make French toast at home. If you have an electric griddle, you will enjoy the ease of cooking French toast.
You will require the following to prepare and cook French toast on an electric griddle to serve one person:
Equipment and utensils:
- An electric griddle
- A bowl for mixing the batter
- A cutting board
- A bread knife if your bread is not cut
- Whisk or fork for mixing the dough
- Heat-proof spatula for turning the bread
- 2 slices of bread of your choice: It could be French bread, sourdough bread, or brioche. The bread should be fresh for you to get great results
- 1/3 cup of milk: You can choose any kind of milk such as whole milk or low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of cream: This helps to make a nice and rich French toast. Some people may not prefer cream, thus making it optional. If you use low-fat milk, cream is advisable
- One egg: it is perfect to set without overbearing
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon: It is optional. However, it is a nostalgic and delicious spice
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla: You can use vanilla essence or vanilla extract to your French toast. It helps to add a lot of flavour to a neutral custard mix
- Butter: It is required to grease your griddle
- Maple syrup: There are different variations you can use to splurge your French toast such as blueberry syrup, coconut syrup, or strawberry syrup
- Cut your bread into slices, it should be about ¾ to 1 inch thick
- In a bowl, add an egg and cinnamon and whisk together. Whisk vigorously to ensure that the cinnamon will blend with the egg
- To the mixture, add milk, cream, and vanilla and whisk vigorously
- Deep the bread slices in the egg mixture. The duration that you let them rest in the batter mixture will depend on the type of bread you use and how quickly it absorbs the mixture. However, it is important to note that sourdough bread and French bread require a few seconds to soak. If your bread slices have absorbed too much mixture, you can gently squeeze the sides inwards
- Preheat your electric griddle
- Grease your electric griddle with butter. Ensure that you butter the griddle immediately before adding slices to prevent your French toast from burning
- Cook each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. It is important to note that cook time will depend on the brand of your electric griddle.
- Serve warm with your favorite maple syrup
What temperature do you cook French toast on an electric griddle?
You should preheat your electric griddle to 350 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. You need to cook the French toast at 350 degrees, which is a medium-heat temperature that allows your French toast to cook thoroughly and turn golden brown without burning the outside.
However, if your electric griddle has one setting, ensure that you keep a close eye to your French toast to avoid burning.
Can French toast be frozen?
Yes. You can freeze the slices. You will need to:
- Lay parchment sheets or wax paper between slices to avoid sticking
- Store in a resealable bag or aluminum foil
- You can store in a freezer for up to 1 month
Can I make the batter mixture in advance?
Yes. You can make the mixture a day before and store it in a refrigerator. However, you should stir the mixture again before dipping the slices.
What is the best bread for French toast?
You can either use homemade bread or bakery bread to get the best results. The best options include:
- French bread
- Sourdough bread
What can I serve with French toast?
French toast normally pairs well with almost all breakfast sides. Some common breakfast sides include:
- Breakfast sausage or ham
- Fruit salad or fresh fruit
- Breakfast potatoes or Hash browns
- Scrambled eggs
- Sunny side up eggs
- Oven cooked bacon
- To make the process easier, ensure that your bowl of batter is near your electric griddle. However, do not put it too close that it will be burned by the heat from the griddle.
- Move bread quickly from the bowl to the electric griddle. This will prevent dripping of the batter all over and thus prevent mess.
- Turn the bread carefully using a spatula. Doing this process quickly can make the dough splatter and burn.
- Keep the slices warm until you are ready to serve. You will enjoy the French toast more when it is warm.
You will never go wrong with cooking in an electric griddle when you want to make French toast. An electric griddle makes the process easier, faster, and less messy. Additionally, you can cook four or more slices simultaneously.