Outdoor cooking is a great way to ensure that you bring people together. You can do neighbourhood cookouts, tailgate parties or family barbecues to share a meal outside and bring a sense of community and fun. Having the right equipment for your outdoor cooking is paramount. Blackstone Company has a good reputation for their outdoor cooking appliances especially grills and griddles. But the question here is, what are the differences between an electric griddle and a Blackstone griddle?
Differences between an Electric Griddle and a Blackstone Griddle
|Electric Griddle||Blackstone Griddle|
|Price||Low to high||High|
|Maintenance||Easy to maintain||Requires frequent maintenance|
|Where to use||Both indoor and outdoor||Outdoor only|
|Energy||Uses electricity||Uses gas|
An electric griddle has a flat cooking surface with a heating element. Once the desired temperature is reached, it is maintained all through the cooking process. This is why you attain even cooking when you use an electric griddle. You can make eggs, bacon, pancakes, crepes, vegetables, bread, and meat on an electric griddle.
Flipping food items that you are cooking is a breeze with an electric griddle because the surface is flat with no walls. The good thing about an electric griddle is that you can make multiple food items at the same time. However, you will not be able to cook foods with sauces or any food that may need the addition of water.
Using an electric griddle is quite easy. All you need to do is turn on the griddle and adjust the temperature as desired. Also, switching off this cooking appliance is very easy. Some models come with an on/off switch while others do not. Therefore, for those lacking the on/off button, all you need to do is turn off the electricity outlet.
You can also use an electric heating element to heat an electric griddle. The advantage of an electric griddle over stovetop pans is that the iron heats up evenly throughout and the heat is maintained. The heat will not fluctuate.
Advantages of an electric griddle
- You can make multiple foods simultaneously: If you are making grilled cheese and pancakes for all your friends or family members, an electric griddle will get a meal out to everyone faster
- Versatility: Some electric griddles have reversible plates that allow you to use them as both a griddle and a grill.
- Ensures that you make healthier meals because they have a drip tray that drains excess fat and oil from greasy food.
- The cleaning process is easy since you do not require additional pans or pots.
- It is portable hence you can go with it for picnics.
Disadvantages of an electric griddle
- Requires electricity to function
Blackstone griddles have a completely flat cooking surface. They are made from cast iron or steel and are normally found in commercial-grade kitchens. The flat surface ensures that heat is distributed evenly, which leads to evenly cooked food.
Here are the different types of Blackstone griddles:
- Table-top griddles: These are easy to bring with you to outdoor events. They are also great for camping because they are portable.
- Cooking stations: These are similar to traditional outdoor cooking stations for barbecues. They come with foldable stands or wheels, making them easy to transport.
- Grill combos: While a griddle is the main type of outdoor cooking appliance offered by Blackstone, you can settle for a griddle/grill combo depending on your needs.
Advantages of a Blackstone griddle
- Size options: There are different size options that you can choose from, for instance, if you want to cook for two, you might choose a 17-inch tabletop griddle. If you want one for catering, you can go for a 36-inch Blackstone griddle.
- It offers the best quality since the products are finely engineered and reinforced with steel.
- Blackstone has ensured that customers will get a seamless cooking experience. Large models come with four separate burners and you can fine-tune the temperature for each burner.
- Easy to assemble.
- It comes with a standard accessory pack: Blackstone offers different accessories to optimize your cooking station. You have the option of selecting a griddle accessory kit that contains a range of tools. Individual items such as a table-top griddle carrier bag are necessary if you love travelling and camping. Other accessories such as the griddle omelette cooking kit are also available.
Disadvantages of a Blackstone griddle
- Requires maintenance, especially the cooking surface. The rolled steel surface is ideal for cooking and seasoning. However, if you do not clean and maintain it properly, it is prone to rust and corrosion.
- Has few design flaws such as allowing heat to escape between the burners.
- It is cumbersome to store larger models.
- Very heavy because they are made from high-quality steel.
You can either choose an electric griddle or a Blackstone griddle depending on your needs. They both offer a large cooking surface, are durable, and high-quality equipment. However, the difference between the two is the cosmetic of the bases, that is, electric griddles mainly have stainless steel while Blackstone griddles have a black powder coating. The two have cold-rolled steel tops. Also, remember that you can use an electric griddle both indoor and outdoor.